I got a pamphlet in the mail about something called the Palm Beach Poetry Festival. An idea came to mind: Cut out one of the “Poetry” words and paste it into the middle of the paper, and then cut out other nouns and think of these as different types of poetry: sand poetry, Tim poetry, guest poetry, Q & A poetry, glance poetry. I don’t know what these types of poetry would be — whether written for an occasion (November 10, 2017 poetry) or for a situation (one-on-one poetry) or written at a place (lake poetry) or written about a place (road poetry) or written about a topic (nut poetry) or to be recited while using the thing (Amex poetry) — but I loved thinking of these things for the first time today.
Top Posts & Pages
- Education: A process rather than a product
- Fiction link: Very short stories by Lydia Davis
- 'I'm an asshole,' sings Denis Leary
- Ta-Nehisi Coates's 'Between the World and Me'
- Dictionary indignancy, or paying for more meaning
- White people, huh? Privilege, normalcy, and racism
- The Old Man and 'The Old Man and the Sea': All stories are bullshit
- 'Beowulf at Breakfast': A poem
- 'Let's stay friends': Quotes of this day
- Lit like a lightning bug